Tuesday, December 1, 2015

What Would Jesus Do With Planned Parenthood?


 Remember back in the day, like in the 90's, when W.W.J.D. Bracelets were all the rage? Teenagers, Children & Adults alike donned these little rubber bracelets, the idea behind them was that they would remind the wearer to stop and think. To ask themselves "What Would Jesus Do?" in any situation they might find themselves in. They were literally everywhere! Well, they might not have been a lasting Fashion Statement, but the thought behind them was a good reminder. So, today I am asking the question once again . . . There is a Hot Button Issue dividing our country right now. People on both sides of the issue are extremely passionate! It is brought up in every Presidential Debate, for both Parties. Where they either Stand with Planned Parenthood or are crying to Defund the entire program. I've been thinking about writing this Blog Post for awhile now, then over Thanksgiving weekend there was a shooting & a hostage situation at a facility in Colorado. So, whether you consider yourself Pro-Life, or Pro-Choice, this question is for you; What Would Jesus Do With Planned Parenthood?


But first, my personal history with Planned Parenthood (and yes, I have a history with Planned Parenthood.) So let me start by telling you a little about myself before we answer the question at hand; Back when I was young, in the mid 80's, and was about to get Married, I knew I wanted to be a Wife for awhile, before becoming a Mom as well. Which meant I needed Birth Control. I did my research & went to Planned Parenthood. It was there that I had my very first Gynecological Exam. (And a girl never forgets her first time!) ;) I learned about women's health issues, they ran tests, and I was screened for cancer, etc. Which BTW is also part of what they do. They don't just preform abortions, they are advocates for Women's Health! So before they are Defunded & shut down, we need to answer the question of where those kinds of things will take place, free or inexpensively, for women who need them. They also provide Birth Control, which I received from them. That was a long time ago. I've now been married over 28 years and am a Mother of four. I am a Christian. And I'm Pro-Life, but I also support a Woman's right to choose what's right for her. As a Woman and a Mother of two Teenage Daughters, I am all about Girl Power! Even before I had come into my own & knew exactly what I believed in, I knew what's most important in any issue, and that's people! I had a friend when I was in High School who thought she might be pregnant. I remember her saying to me that it would be impossible to have & raise a child in her life at that time, and that she knew I would be upset if she were to have an abortion. I told her even then that though I didn't agree with her choice, I would always be her friend. And that I would even go with her when the time came. She said I was a good friend. Thankfully she was not pregnant and didn't have to face that tough decision.

But, enough about me, let's get back to the issue at hand. What Would Jesus Do With Planned Parenthood? I know some things He would Not do! He would not picket & shout horrendous things at the Women entering, or at the staff working there. Let's not forget Jesus gave His life for those people. He would certainly not bomb or shoot up the place to get his point across. (And I don't understand how someone who calls them self Pro Life would take someone else's life. Don't they see that negates what they stand for? You can't be Pro, or for Life & take a Life!) So, Let's look at how Jesus did handle things when he walked the earth. For one thing He was known as the Friend of sinners. He was put down & accused of wrong doing for associating with the unsavory. The tax collectors, prostitutes and the like. In fact His ONLY harsh words were saved for the overtly religious people, who looked down on those less so. Who talked down their noses at and about people. The only time Jesus ever showed any violence was at those trying to turn a house of Worship into a money maker, buy buying & selling & trying to make a profit off those who came there to Worship. So, no I don't think Jesus would take a violent approach.

What I do think Jesus would do is take the young girl by the hand who is faced with making the toughest decision of her life and walk with her through this terrible situation. He would hold those precious babies in His arms, Longing to give them a Future. Always Forgiving. Always Loving. Just like He is with each of us. Right after John 3:16, where the Bible teaches us that "God so Loved the World that He gave his only Son that Whoever believes in Him will not perish but have Everlasting Life."  Verse 17 goes on to tell us that  "God did not send His Son into the world to Condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be Saved."  So if Jesus won't Condemn, then neither should we. We were not put on this earth to protest what we don't agree with. Nor to make laws, or change policies. Jesus wasn't really political at all. In fact He submitted to the very Government that sentenced Him to death. Praying "Father, Forgive them, they don't know what they are doing!" And told us never to raise a hand against those in leadership. Romans 13 says "Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil." Though I Love Politics and believe we should all research the issues that are important to us & Vote accordingly, that should not be our main focus.

No, what we were put on earth to do is be His hands extended to a lost & hurting world. To show the world God's Love! I just read a great Book called What's So Amazing About Grace? by Philip Yancey (I Highly recommend it!) in which he says "I really only love God as much as I love the person I love the least." And John 13:35 says "By this all will know that you are my disciples, If you have love for one another." Love should be the Christians calling card! Not Judgement, not Hate, not Prejudice, Love. If we were to walk up to a stranger on the street & ask them what do you think of when you hear the term Christian? Would the first thing that comes to their mind be Love? It should be. No matter the circumstance, Compassion should always trump our sense of right & wrong! I often remind myself, If I'm going to err, then err on the side of Grace! Yes, God is Pro-Life, so much so that He want's all people to have Eternal Life with Him. And yes, even those who have had abortions, or those who perform them. And yes, even You & Me! If He can Love us, then we can Love them. 

No comments: